Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Fishing @ Jackson Lake

Today my dad and I went fishing on Jackson Lake. We started the day off early. We hooked up the boat to the truck and loaded are belongings. We made sure to bring a cooler full of...WATER, what? Were you excepting us to take beer, lol not on my worst day.

Once we got on the road we had two more stops before we hit the lake. First we had to go to Wal-Mart, yes I know I feel the same way...ugh!!! I had no choice I had to get a fishing permit. After I shopped at the super store Mafia and had gotten my permit we had one more stop to make.

On our next stop we had to go to the bait shop to get, well bait!!! :) Now that the nice older lady behind the counter gave us around 5 dozen minos for the price of 3 dozen; maybe she was thinking a bakers dozen? Who knows. We were ready to continue on Lake Jackson.

Once we got there I was shocked at how easy it was to unload the boat. This was my first time doing this and it really isn't as hard as you would think. Once we had the boat in the water Dad went to park the truck as I stayed guard with the boat.

Once Dad returned we got in the boat and hit the water. It was slow going because Jackson Lake is an electric power motor only lake. Due to this we could not use the big motor that was on the back of the boat just teasing me. I so wanted to drive the boat and you know tear it up so to speak. I am sure the other fisherman would have loved that...lol, but honestly why would I care? After all I am a Kayaker' not a fisherman.

We finally got to a spot to start some fishing, Dad showed me how to use one of his high tech reels, no seriously my Dad doesn't use your push button reels, which are so much easier. Anyway long story short I got it to work after a few tries.

Now I bet all my readers are wondering at this point, "Now what did he catch for the day?" Well let me end the suspense...." I got nothing" oh wait that is not true I did catch a few trees...yay.
Dad caught two fish, it was as he said "a very slow day." in the end I still had a blast and even drove the boat with the electric motor and probably scared Dad. I think he thought I was going to hit a tree or the bank, but not to worry I corrected the boat in time.

It was neat to experience the water from a fisherman/boaters point of view. It was very different then my normal kayak/canoe vantage point. In the end readers I will say I had a great time hanging with my Dad and hope to do it again....maybe next time I will catch a fish!!! However, I will always be a kayaker that will not change anytime soon, well unless I get addicted to white water rafting.

As always good day followers and have fun on the water and in life, remember to PADDLE ON!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment