Thursday, April 29, 2010

day on the lake

I loaded up the truck and headed for the lake...Roosevelt Lake that is. I am trying to get in shape for a trip that I will be going on later in the summer. I believe it will be 18 miles or so. This being said I need to get into rowing shape, your avg joe civilian shape is just not going to cut it.

Back to the Lake, when I arrived I did a quick fly by in my truck and gave it a quick look around, there were park employees all over the place cutting grass....actually there was 5 of them. Due to the heavy traffic I headed up to Turkey Creek Lake, which is no more then a minuet away.

I drove in to the lake parking lot gave it a quick look around and it was a ghost town no one around minus one group swimming. I decided it would be better to go to Roosevelt Lake, because it had more people and I thought that this would make it safer for me.

I drove back to the lake unloaded the yak and went to it. I went up this little cove, which I had paddle previously on another outing. This time I was amazed at how far I went back into the cove. I found a deep line in the cove and was able to follow it almost to the very end. I spent a few minutes just sitting there taking in all the sights and sounds. It was heavenly...you haven't lived if you've never been in a kayak and seen the world of water and wildlife from this low of a vantage point.

After I became one with the world...lol...I thought it time to get to work. I found a line that I could paddle from one end of the lake to the other. It was great I went down and back five times; given me 3 miles on the water. I did the up and down trips at a fast pace non-stop trying to build up my blah civilian arms. I was tired after the sprints on the water but felt very good about my effort. All together I paddle about 4.5 to 5 miles. I feel its a good start for now.

while I was there I ended up talking to some gentleman who was fishing from the bank. He was a friendly fellow and we exchanged the common complementary hi's and what not. I believe he caught one fish, which is not bad at all considering I didn't catch one single fish on my trip with my dad.

After all the paddling and socializing, yes that's right saying hi too one person from the water is me socializing. I had to load up the gear and head out. The paddle is still working well and I am still happy with my decision to purchases it. I have no clue why it took me so long to buy one...a good one. Thanks to all the readers and those of you who are reading my blog and voting. It means a lot to me to know that you take the time out of your busy days to see what silliness I have been up to. Well as always have a great happy sunshine filled day and PADDLE ON!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment