Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Book Reviews/ Ratings


I will be doing book reviews/ratings as another part of my blog. These reviews will be over books that deal with the outdoors. Some of them will not take place in or around the water.

Today's is "Small Boat to Freedom" by John Vigor

I love this book for several reasons, it is a true story about a family; father, mother and son. They have to flee their home due to the uprising in South Africa and head to America where June ;the wife is from. They have to flee the country by ocean to be safe, however this presents its own dangers. The ocean can be a pretty nasty place and you will read about some of the amazing things they had to endure and encounter on this voyage.

Another aspect of the book is that you will get to learn a little about sails boats, John gives you some terms and knowledge of how a sail boat works threw out his writings. He also gives you a history of how he learned to sail.

If you are a history person then this book should be right up your alley. It tells and teaches you about the hardships that are going on in South Africa at the time. Tells you about the political struggle that is tearing the place apart and how unsafe it is. If you were a history teacher and wanted to give your students a true up close personal experience about how the apartheid was affecting South Africa in 1987ish then this is the book to give them.

He also gives a up-close look at the ports that they visit and the fun times to be had. I give it a 4 Kayak rating. We use kayaks here instead of stars. :)

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting. You should read Adrift: Seventy-six Days Lost at Sea. It is about this man that sets out on a sea journey across the Atlantic. Six days into is voyage his small boat capsizes and he is stuck on this floating rubber raft. I read this when I was younger, my Dad loved the book and recommended it to me. Its pretty good and tells you some good tips if your stuck at sea and follows his horrific journey. Enjoy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi ya! How you doing? lol I have a dumb request. I love that you put my blog as a link on your page, but I was wondering if you could ex-the last name off there. Since we have some rude people in our lives with too much spare time. I don't need a headache. lol I'm sure you understand. I just thought about it and cringed. Thanks pal :) Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete