Saturday, June 26, 2010


We had a few people try kayaking for the first time on the OBX trip. This is a picture of Joe in my kayak with Amy's paddle. We also got Hanna out on the water and she loved it.
It reminds me of my first trip down the river on a kayak. I went to a canoe livery with Keith and Amy. On our way there we discussed what type of water craft we would be using for the day.
Keith and Amy were set on kayaks, which also ment that I would have to get a kayak as well, no way I was going to do a canoe by myself.
Keith, Amy and I decided that we would each get a kayak and once we were on the water if I was feeling uncomfortable we would return to shore and get a canoe. I liked this arangement and it made me feel like taking the chance on the kayak. I have always loved being on the water however the thought of being in a kayak always scared me. I always wondered what if you flip and you get stuck in the kayak underwater and you can't get out!!!
I got in the kayak and made my way out on the water, it was different then what I had expected. I stayed close to the bank and maneuvered a few turns and realized that I loved it...their would be no returning this craft back to the banks for a canoe, nope not at all.
Of course I was still a little nervous about getting stuck in the kayak if I flipped. That was also taken care of on my first trip. On that trip I flipped and the good news, was that I came right out. I think it was good for me to flip on my very first kayaking trip, it made me more comfortable with kayaking. I wasn't going on every trip wondering what was going to happen to me if i flipped. Well that is the story of my first time out on the water in a kayak. I would love to hear from some of my readers about their first trips. Well as always have a great day and PADDLE ON!!!

2 comments:

  1. Lol. That was fun! I think you should elaborate on how you flipped. Your readers would like to know :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well the flip was due to operator error...lol...and I still maintain that it was not this operators fault but the other operator!!! HA HA HA just kidding

    ReplyDelete